Alpha Beta History
The Alpha Beta Chapter at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri can trace its beginnings back to the 20th century. The chapter was then known as Kappa Theta Psi, a well-established local sorority of then Northeast Missouri State University. In 1914, Kappa Theta Psi became significantly interested in the national sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha and sent delegates to the Miami, Ohio convention held over Thanksgiving weekend. Three other chapters were also present at the convention: the Alpha chapter of Longwood College in Farmville, Virginia; the Phi Tau chapter of Miami University in Miami, Ohio; and the Gamma Pi Beta local sorority in Indiana, Pennsylvania. In two days the delegates adopted a constitution, formulated a more elaborate ritual, made some changes in symbols and customs and arranged for a weekly publication, The Phoenix. According to the Encounter, it was also ruled that “The Virginia Chapter shall be known as Alpha, the Ohio Chapter as Alpha Alpha, the Missouri chapter as Alpha Beta, the Pennsylvania chapter as Alpha Gamma. The letter Alpha shall forever be reserved for the use of these four chapters, which formed the basis of the reorganized sorority.”
Alpha Sigma Alpha was the first sorority to be founded in the twentieth century. We were founded at Longwood College in Farmville, Virginia on November 15, 1901. A tradition of diverse membership began with the first chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha. The founders were Louis Cox Carper, Juliette Hundley Gilliam, Mary Williamson Hundley, Virginia Boyd Noell and Calva Watson Wooten. Together these five women formed a beautiful sisterhood of love and service that Alpha sisters have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy far into the future. Our founders, five individuals of various backgrounds with a variety of interests, were successful in keeping their identities while developing a close sisterhood.